Dec 24, 2010

Cranberry Orange Bread - Yum!


This is a super yummy recipe!
I got it from my mom . . . not sure where she got it, though.
She used to make it for neighbors for Christmas.

I made it for just a few friends this year - if there was a quicker way to make it in big quantities, I would have made it for everyone, because it really is good.

And I do have to say that I {love} my ceramic Pampered Chef bread pan.  It makes four mini loaves at the same time - genius!  
And mini loaves are perfect for giving away.


Cranberry Orange Bread
w/ Lemon Glaze

Bread:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 T shortening
1 T grated orange peel
3/4 c orange juice
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.  Generously grease and lightly flour a loaf pan (side note:  I sugared my pan, instead of flouring it.  I like to do this with sweet breads.  It adds to the yummy-ness!).

In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.  Cut in shortening (I used my pastry cutter).


Stir in orange juice, egg and orange peel, mixing just until moistened.


Fold in cranberries and nuts.  Spoon into prepared pan(s). 
Another side note - this recipe makes one large loaf or two to three small loaves.

Bake about 60 minutes for a large loaf pan, 40 to 45 minutes for small loaf pans.  Slightly cool and remove from pan.



Lemon Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar
2 T butter
1/8 to 1/4 cup lemon juice (I like it a little zesty so I add the 1/4 cup)
Milk (to thin)

Mix powdered sugar, butter and lemon juice.  The original recipe doesn't call for milk, but I like it to be runny like a glaze instead of thick like a frosting.  So I drizzle the milk in and mix, adding more milk until I get the consistency I want.  You'll want it a little runny, but still thick enough that it will stay on the loaf when you put it on, like so:


Oh man, this tangy little treat is SO good!  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!


Let's look at that pic again, shall we?

Yummy!

I used the same bags that I used for the Caramel Pops to put the bread in:

Add a cute little tag and you have yourself a nice little gift to give your neighbors :)
Merry Christmas!!!

2 Nuggets of Love:

Unknown said...

Yum...it looks delectable! My mouth is watering. Merry Christmas to you guys!!

brooke and chad coon said...

So glad I was one of the lucky ones that got to try this recipe. It was SOO delicious! I didn't even want to share with my kids. Merry Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...