Mar 16, 2011

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

 I think it's time for a delicious, healthy recipe, don't you?


Have you ever seen a spaghetti squash and wondered what to do with it?

Well, make Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti!
It's a favorite meal at our house.  It's Healthy, with a capitol H, plus it's so easy to make.

Basically, you make spaghetti the way you like it, but instead of using pasta for the noodles, you use spaghetti squash.  To make it extra healthy, I use turkey burger instead of hamburger.

Here's how I make it:
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
1 spaghetti squash
1 pound turkey burger
1 jar/can spaghetti sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can mushrooms


First, cut your spaghetti squash in half.  This is not the easiest thing to do - I usually recruit my husband to do it.  Clean out the seeds and put half of the squash upside down on a plate with a little water in the bottom.  Microwave for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the squash is tender.


While the squash is cooking, dice your onion and add it to 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil in the fry pan.  Add your minced garlic and season with salt and pepper.

Then add your turkey burger to the pan.  Season with salt and pepper (It's important to season each layer - it helps add a lot more flavor to your dish.  You'll hear me say this all the time!) and cook through.

When the meat is fully cooked, add your spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms and whatever else you want to add.  We like our spaghetti squash chunky!

When your spaghetti squash is done, shred it up, like so:

You will have a bowl full of spaghetti squash noodles:
{Side note:  if my husband and I are the only ones eating, half of the squash is enough.  If there are more people, we will cook the whole squash, one half at a time}

Top your spaghetti with some parmesan cheese and you are done!  You don't even need a side of veggies since your noodles are the veggies!  But, since I like to be healthy, I usually add an extra side of veggies.  Steamed broccoli is my favorite lately :)


I made some homemade artisan bread this night, too.  It was delicious!  I found the recipe over at The Pink Pistachio.  Super easy and super yummy!

Let me know what you think.
My husband likes it better than regular spaghetti.  I feel good when I make it because I know I'm putting good things in my body!

UPDATE:  I forgot to put the nutritional info on here.
Ready for it???
If you make the whole squash, then this recipe, split 5 ways, has only
295 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving!!!
See, told you it was healthy :)

I haven't had much time to craft lately, but I have some fun projects coming up, so stay tuned!

10 Nuggets of Love:

Unknown said...

Yum, you've told me about this before. It looks so good! Have you ever cooked the squash in the oven?? (We don't have a microwave) Hope you guys had a fun trip!!

The Yoder's Five said...

Love your new blog header!!

I've never tried spaghetti sauce, but you make it look really good. I'll have to try it sometime. Looks easier than I thought!

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Love spaghetti squash! Funny enough, it actually is on the menu for tonight. @ Crafty Gals, I make it in the oven. Pretty much the same steps described here but baked at 350 until tender.

Rach said...

Love it, so easy , Thank you for sharing!!!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

mmmmm i make a variation of this almost monthly! yum!!!!!!!

I just got my package in the mail! thank you so so so much! I LOVE it ! <3

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Rachael said...

YUM! I just made spag squash for the first time about a month ago and really liked it! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Megan Gunyan said...

Why have I forgotten about spaghetti squash? I used to have it all the time! So good! Thanks for the healthy reminder and the yummy recipes!

Natalie said...

Yummmm! I wish I would have known about this last year...my grandma gave me a whole bunch of them and I just let them rot because I had no idea what they were or what to do with them! HAHAH! And it is SUCH a small blog world out there, Melissa (comment #2)is my cousin! I swear, she knows EVERYONE!

Lisa said...

I've heard about this! I wonder if I could trick my husband into eating it!

Lauren said...

I bought a spaghetti squash last night and i'm gonna make this this week!! =-) can't wait!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...